Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Delhi
Every semester, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Delhi acknowledges outstanding contributions as Teaching Assistant by awarding the title of Outstanding Teaching Assistant. This webpage is dedicated to all the past/present/future awardees and their contributions. The Department holds all these students in high regard.
- Shubham Jindal for the course COP290 (Design Practices) Course coordinator: Vinay Ribeiro Comments from the course coordinator: Went out of his way to prepare great assignments. Volunteered to prepare a good tutorial for an assignment. Was rigorous in grading.
- Iqra Altaf Gillani for the course COL216 (Computer Architecture) Course coordinator: Anshul Kumar Comments from the course coordinators: With 8 TAs, the volume of work was very well divided, but I found Iqra to be most sincere and always willing to take the lead. Also volunteered to help in intitally setting up the lab.
- Rajesh Kedia and Lokesh Siddhu for the course COL331 (Operating systems) Course coordinator: Kolin Paul Comments from the course coordinator: Average response time of only 25 minutes across more than 400 questions posted on Piazza. All OS assignments were on JOS which was used for the first time at IITD. Student feedback for TAs was very good.
- Dhiraj Madan for the course COL352 (Introduction to Automata & Theory of Computation) Course coordinator: Sandeep Sen.
- Prajna Upadhyay for the course COL362 (Introduction to Database Management Systems) Course coordinator: S. K. Gupta Comments from course coordinator: Generated assignments, helped diligently in preparing courseware.
- Neha Sengupta for the course COL380 (Introduction to Parallel & Distributed Programming) Course coordinator: Subodh Sharma Comments from the course coordinator: Excellent TA. Very prompt at taking care of sought tasks.
- Prathmesh Kallurkar for the course COP290 (Design Practices) Course coordinator: Vinay Ribeiro Comments from the course coordinator: Terrific in handling all the logistics. Helped in preparing several assignments. Was excellent in grading.
Special Mention to the team that worked with Parag Singla on COL774 (Machine Learning): Akhil Jain, Anuj Mahajan, Vaishali Gupta, Karan Goel, Ankit Anand, Saurabh Goyal, Shashank Sharma, Yashoteja Prabhu
- Akhil Jain for the course COL100 (Introduction to Computer Science) Course coordinator: Smruti Sarangi and KK Biswas Comments from the course coordinators: Designed and conceptualized the online lab test for 450 students. Great contribution
- Dipanjan Chakraborty for the course COL100 (Introduction to Computer Science) Course coordinator: Smruti Sarangi and KK Biswas Comments from the course coordinator: Fantastic overall contribution. Took care of all the operational details of the lab tests, help sessions, and weak student issues
- Prathmesh Kallurkar for the course COL106 (Data Structures and Algorithms) Course coordinator: Amitabha Bagchi. Comments from the course coordinator: Prathmesh completely managed assignment design and evaluation. He also conducted help sessions or programming. These help sessions were very well received by the students a number of who mentioned their benefits in the course evaluations. Prathmesh showed great maturity in his role and was a real asset in this course.
- Nikhil Kumar for the course COL202 (Discrete Mathematics) Course coordinator: Naveen Garg Comments from course coordinator: Did a part of the grading and handled one tutorial class for both this and COL356. Also helped in setting exams.
- Jatin Batra for the course CSL356 Course coordinator: Amit Kumar Comments from the course coordinator: Did a part of the grading and handled one tutorial class for both this and COL202. Also helped in setting exams.
Honourable Mentions: Mayank Raj (2011CS50284) , Anirban Sen (2014CSZ8208), Rajesh Kedia (2014CSZ8383), Lokesh Siddhu (2014CSZ8382)
C Sandeep for the course COL100 (Introduction to Computer Science)
Course coordinator: Prem Kalra and Preeti Panda
Comments from the course coordinators: Sandeep Chandran was the head-TA for CSL100 course in II Semester 2014-15. Overall, his performance was outstanding. He did an excellent job in several management activities involved in this course: coordinating the large number of TAs and their attendance at the lab sessions, assignments and their evaluation, working with another TA (Rahul Jain) to develop a submission and automatic evaluation system from scratch, handling the help sessions, and distribution/re-evaluation. In particular, the submission system worked remarkably well considering that it was the first version of the software, deployed to a large number of users. He deserves the TA award.
Nikhil Kumar for the course COL106(CSL201) (Data Structures)
Course coordinator: Naveen Garg and Amit Kumar
Comments from the course coordinator:Nikhil took complete responsibility of the assignments for both COL106 and CSL201 (data structures for new and old curriculum). Over 280 students started the course and about 230 finished it. Nikhil prepared the assignments, developed themarking scheme and communicated it effectively to the other TAs. He then ensured that all TAs had graded the assignment in time so that we did nothave to go running after any TAs. Many students in the course did not showup for the demos on time. Nikhil also interfaced with these students and the TAs to make sure that all assignments got graded. He also chipped in when evaluating the majors and graded one of the questions. Overall both the Instructors were very happy with his work.
Deepak Ravi for the course CSL373 (Operating Systems)
Course coordinator: Sorav Bansal.
Comments from the course coordinator:Deepak did an outstanding job at developing new and interesting programming assignments for the OS course, called "HoH Labs". HoH is a research operating system being developed by Deepak as part of his PhD work. Unlike other openly available OS assignments (which are largely based on the UNIX model), HoH contains amodern exokernel-style interface. This provided significantly more interesting, insightful and modern problems for the students to solve, compared to previous offerings. Developing HoHLabs required numerous hours of designing, implementation, and documentation, in addition to a deep understanding of OS fundamentals. Deepak's contribution in this regardis truly commendable. The students gave very positive feedback on the assignments, and found them challenging, yet very interesting. I plan to continue to enhance and use HoH labs in future offerings of the OS course.Overall, I believe that this was the best TA effort I have seen in my 6 years of teaching at IIT Delhi!
Rajshekar K for the course COL718 ((Architecture for Large Systems)
Course coordinator: Anshul Kumar
Comments from course coordinator:Did an excellent job. The lab was almost entirely handled by him along with the other TA Seep Goel. He took major initiative in defining the lab assignments, conducting help sessions for the class and attending to their queries. Both the TAs contributed significantly to evaluation of the minor/major test answer scripts. I found Rajshekar highly reliable - I was able to entrust some tasks to him and simply forget about it.
Bharat Kumar and Pulkit Mittal for the course CSL315 (Embedded Systems Design Lab)
Course coordinator: M. Balakrishnan
Comments from the course coordinator: Excellent work of organizing the three seminar sessions, preparing the handout, reviewing the posters, organizing the open house demos, and collecting the reports
Aditi Kapoor for the course COL100 (Introduction to Computer Science)
Course coordinator: Amitabha Bagchi and Sanjiva Prasad
Comments from the course coordinators: I want to wholeheartedly recommend Aditi for a TA award. As Head TA of COL100 she had the very difficult task of managing MTech TAs who were new to the job and a demanding set of first year BTech students. She managed with great aplomb, handling a number of administrative tasks with ease and supporting us in various evaluations and re-evaluations with great efficiency. Her tremendous commitment was what made it possible for us to return evaluations in a timely manner in a course with 450 students. Truly, I don't know what we would have done without her. Aditi is an asset to our department, an exceptional person with fantastic attitude. I really can't say enough in her praise.
Gayathri A. for the course COL115 (Digital Logic and Design)
Course coordinator: Kolin Paul
Comments from the course coordinator: Gayathri is very good at handling a large classes. She helped in managing the other TAs. She helped in the re-corrections to the extent that I have not had to interact with students at all. Also the grading process went off smoothly with her handling most of the students.
C. Sandeep for the course CSL728 (Compiler Design)
Course coordinator: Preeti Ranjan Panda.
Comments from the course coordinator: Sandeep Chandran had the primary role of helping in the evaluation of all the assignments and project. The course had an ambitious project and a lot of handholding was necessary in the early stages to ensure familiarity with the compiler infrastructure. Sandeep scheduled a number of additional class meetings to ensure that the project requirements were clarified, and to give feedback on the students' progress. The final results were very good. Some of the groups produced results that will be followed up later.
Madhulika Mohanty for the course COL106 (Data Structures)
Course coordinator: Amit Kumar and Shweta Agrawal
Comments from course coordinator: Madhulika was excellent, very reliable and very prompt. She did not always get the requisite help from other TAs but she handled it all and did not let us need to deal with it. With a course of 273 students, it would have been much harder to manage without her.
Suvam Patra for the course CSL783 (Digital Image Analysis)
Course coordinator: KK Biswas
Comments from the course coordinator: Suvam is an enthusiastic worker. He helped with selection of course assignments, and deciding criteria for grading. He was the lead TA for this course.
- Ankush Jindal and Jatin Kumar for the course CSL373 (Operating Systems) Course coordinator: Sorav Bansal Comments from the Course coordinator: Jatin and Ankush did an excellent job at handling programming assignment demos, and grading for assignments and exams. They made notes on the assignment submissions of each student group, and then graded based on a grading policy. They were always enthusiastic about TA work, and sensitive to student needs and problems. They went beyond their call of duty, while volunteering to help in evaluation of Lab2 (along with Lab4 that they were assigned).
- Siddharth Bora and Sudhanshu Shekhar for the course CSL333 (Artificial Intelligence) Course coordinator: Mausam Comments from the Course coordinator: Siddharth and Sudhanshu ran a massive tournament where bots of different students, which were playing a two-player game, were competing against each other. There were leagues, winners of a league, pre-quarters, quarters, semis and finals. And there were three such tournaments. He did this all in the last five days of the semester (that is where the deadline for submission was, so TAs had very limited time). They also wrote the server code. Basically these are both amazing people and deserve the TA award.
- Namita Sharma for the course CSL100 (Introduction to Computer Science) Course coordinator: Amit Kumar and Preeti R. Panda Comments from the Course coordinator: She worked extremely hard to manage all the resources well. She took care of assignments, coordination between TAs, TA schedules for labs and keeping track of their performance, collection of marks, and coordination during grading. Overall, I was very impressed with her commitment, she is the best TA I have seen in course like CSL 100/201.
- Yamuna Prasad for the course CSL865 (Special Topics in Computer Science) Course coordinator: K K Biswas Comments from the Course coordinator: He took very active interest in my CSL865 course this semester. He contributed a lot in designing the assignments. He also prepared lecture material and delivered couple of lectures. He gave a lot of time to the students for discussion on the material. He had been a TA with me in CS101 course as well, where he had formed special groups to help the weak students. He had a big role in the course as he had to organize the TAs and oversee their work. He would pitch in wherever needed. I would say he is an ideal TA. He keeps pace with the lecture material and helps the students in the lab accordingly. He is also very sincere and punctual in his duties. I would recommend him very strongly for the TA award.
- Shibashis Guha for the course CSL201 (Data Structures) Course coordinator: Saroj Kaushik Comments from the Course coordinator: Shibashis did excellent coordination and management of TAs. He helped in formulating good and challenging assignments. He completed work well in time and helped students with their doubts and queries.
- Niranjan Viladkar for the course CSL201 (Data Structures) Course coordinator: Saroj Kaushik Comments from the Course coordinator: Niranjan was very enthusiastic, concerned about improvement of the student's knowledge, and helped with designing assignments and MOSS.
- Chandrika Bharadwaj for the course CSL759 (Cryptography and Computer Security) Course coordinator: Shweta Agrawal Comments from the Course coordinator: Chandrika was excellent, very sincere, always reliable and very committed to the job. I never had a single complaint. She performed all the duties required of a TA as well as possible.
- Gayathri A. for the course CSL100 (Introduction to Computers and Programming) Course coordinator: S. Arun Kumar and Subhashis Banerjee Comments from the Course coordinator: Gayathri as Chief TA for the course CSL100, did a wonderful job in organizing and scheduling a large number of TAs many of whom had little prior knowledge of the contents of the course. Besides managing the evaluation and grading of labs, assignments and minors, she had to deal with a huge number of TAs. She did all this work very cheerfully even though it must have been a daunting task for her.
- Namita Sharma for the course CSL728 (Compiler Design) Course coordinator: Preeti Ranjan Panda Comments from the Course coordinator: Namita did an excellent TA job this semester. She was always prompt in evaluating assignments and giving feedback to the students. Her inputs and individual discussions with the students ensured that most groups delivered a good quality course project. Due to unavoidable reasons I was forced to impose a higher burden on Namita this semester than I normally would. However, she did not complain and gave outstanding support to the course.
- Jatin Batra for the course CSL356 (Analysis and Design of Algorithms) Course coordinator: Sandeep Sen Comments from the Course coordinator: Jatin was on top of the subject material and I could rely on his technical ability to deal with students' questions and doubts. I often passed him answer scripts when I needed a second opinion to interpret the gibberish written. He did what was asked of him in a professional and timely manner. Most important, he had the respect and confidence of the students.
Chinmay Narayan for the course CSL101(Introduction to Computers and Programming)
Course coordinator: Huzur Saran and Parag Singla Comments from the Course coordinatorChinmay was very sincere and full of initiatives. He was ready to put in extra hours whenever needed and cared about the students. He co-ordinated the whole team of 19 TAs very well. Despite the fact that he had important family commitments within few days of the moderation, he spent a whole day with students helping them with doubts and re-correcting papers. It was only after the whole affair was over, we came to know about his other commitments at home and how he seamlessly managed both without any complaints.
Sandeep Kumar Bindal for the course CSL373(Operating Systems)
Course coordinator: Sorav Bansal
Comments from the Course coordinator Apart from regular duties, Sandeep did excellent work in taking assignment demos for the VM assignment and homework/Major/Minor grading. He showed dedication and hard work. During programming assignment grading, he along with Ravee Malla came up with very intelligent and relevant viva questions, and discussed them with me extensively, before taking student demos. I think he did a very fair job in programming assignment grading, and this is very crucial while running the OS course.
Ravee Malla for the course CSL373 (Operating Systems)
Course coordinator: Sorav Bansal
Comments from the Course coordinator Apart from regular duties, Ravee did excellent work in taking assignment demos for the filesystem assignment.During programming assignment grading, he along with Sandeep Kumar Bindal came up with very intelligent and relevant viva questions, and discussed them with me extensively, before taking student demos. I think he did a very fair job in programming assignment grading, and this is very crucial while running the OS course.
Rejoy VM for the course CSL201(Data Structures)
Course coordinator: Amitabha Bagchi
Comments from the Course coordinatorTruly outstanding work by Rejoy this semester. I was tremendously impressed by the dedication, commitment and tremendous management capabilities he displayed in running the entire show, managing 20+ TAs and 340 students. Rejoy is a real asset to the department.
Chinmay Narayan for the course CSL201(Data Structures).
Course coordinator: Amitabha Bagchi
Comments from the Course coordinator Chinmay had to leave halfway through the semester so I got him to organize a sequence of 3 java labs that were conducted through an online system. He created a very well conceived teaching module for this purpose, coordinated with the online system's people to ensure all the students were enrolled, and then trained the MTech TAs so that they could conduct the lab effectively. He also wrote out 4 of the assignments along with test cases and solutions. His content-related input was top quality and I was very very happy with his work.
Shibashis Guha for the course CSL303(Logic for Computer Science)
Course coordinator: S. Arun Kumar
Comments from the Course coordinatorShibashis Guha did masterful job of TA-ing the course. He attended every lecture, designed and graded all the assignments and also helped in the solution of every question in the exam papers. There was no obligation for him to attend the lectures, since he had already attended this course once last year, but he did so because he was interested in getting a deeper understanding of the subject and in being able to solve all the problems. He pointed out many errors and corrections in the slides for the course.